Friday, March 15, 2013

Promotion



This promotional campaign has to be introduced in a small way at first. Putting it out there for everyone to see on television is a little risky; the audience might not understand what I’m trying to say if I start off with a commercial. So opting for a magazine ad seemed like a good approach. “The relative value of “telling” versus “showing” an audience a story is a matter that goes back to Plato's Republic and Aristotle's Poetics.” (pg. 110) I can’t just approach my audience directly and tell them “hey you need to buy this product because you’ll feel like a true artist”. If I saw something like that I would feel a little pressured to actually buy it and not even end up using it. I need to give my audience a reason to buy this product.
Designing for print ad is the fastest way for me to contact my target audience. I need to have the ad run in fashion magazines and I need to grab the reader’s attention; we all know that most magazines that run print ads often have more than a few in them. I have to find a way for the reader to know what the product is and what the message is as well. If I give them a narrative about a girl going to a museum and have her looking at a  photo but the others are looking and taking pictures in her hand with the slogan “everyone can be an artist”, it will grab their attention. “When the line and visual work off one another, together they create greater meaning. Just like a good comedy team or a musical duet, the total effect is greater than the sum of the separate parts; it is seamless.”  (pg 210)
While thinking of how to construct my print ad I had to look further and set myself apart from other ads. As other nail product ads run in magazines or in news papers I had to show my ad to a younger audience. We all know that the younger generation seldom reads news papers, and magazines are now offered through mobile devices and on the internet. “The most important thing to realize about mobile phones is that most people have one, and they have one with them most hours of the day and night. It is the most personal of all media; it resides in our pockets and handbags.” (pg 240) It’s the easiest and fastest way for me to get my ad to women. Also what do women or nail artist use when they grab their phone, of course their hand. Most mobile phones are now touch screen; this is a perfect way for them to notice my ad and notice that its either they are using OPI or they are in need of a manicure and go buy my product out in the market. “People love their mobile phones and have become increasingly dependent upon them. Whether someone is waiting in a line at a theater or store, or sitting on a bus or in a doctor's office, that mobile device can provide entertainment or information.” (pg. 240) Not only am I informing them that OPI’s nail polish is a new form of art! But I can also inform them that they just might been in need of a touch up or a new option to a new color that we have on sale!

No comments:

Post a Comment